Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day a Paris



Entering the Western world via Paris made the transition easy; the cold weather was a shock though! Our friends, George and Marcia FitzGerald have joined us in the little apt we rented in the 12th Arr. As it turned out, St. Valentine Day was this Weekend so we enjoyed the day even more here. There are not the red hearts everywhere here like there is in the USA though; we had to search a long time to find one for the photo! We did see a few young girls at Notre Dame with English signs offering Free Hugs OOOOOOO John took advantage of that!
The food seems so rich; the people look so healthy; the traffic so loud and dense and orderly.
Color seems so shocking in the land of the black and gray, but I am trying my best to at least wear some of my colorful, new silk scarves. I feel so grateful every time I can brush my teeth with water from the tap; also for things like the Rule of Law, health care, and freedom of speech and freedom of the Press. They should not be taken for granted. In so many ways we in the Western world are very lucky.

No comments: